When I served this colorful salad for dinner last night, my 3-year-old exclaimed, “It’s a Wainbow Salad!” That it is. And it tastes just as good as it looks. This salad has everything—sweet, savory, chewy and crunchy. With fruits and vegetables, the best nutritional guideline is to eat all the colors of the rainbow. This salad has you covered. You can leave the chicken out and serve it as a lighter side-salad, or keep it in and make it a main dish. Enjoy!
Mandarin Chicken Kale Salad
- 6 Cups loosely packed Kale
- 2 Cups Romaine Lettuce
- 1 1/2 Cups Carrot Ribbons (See Notes)
- 3/4 Cup Red Bell Peppers chopped
- 1/4 Cup Green Onions sliced small
- 10.5 ounce can Mandarin Oranges drained
- 1/2 Cup Chow Mein Noodles (Omit for gluten-free option)
- 1/4 Cup Toasted Almonds sliced
- 1 Cup Rotisserie Chicken shredded
- 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce (See Notes)
- 3 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh Ginger zested
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha Sauce* (See notes)
- 1 clove Garlic finely minced
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
Combine all dressing ingredients into a mason jar with a tight fitting lid.
In a large mixing bowl, massage 2 tablespoons of dressing into the kale. Use your hands to get the best result. This helps take the bitter flavor out of the kale. Let it sit to marinate while you prepare remaining ingredients.
Toss kale with the romaine lettuce to coat, and add remaining salad ingredients.
Drizzle with more dressing as desired.
Makes 8 side servings or 2 main dish servings.
To make the Carrot Ribbons, simply lay a large carrot flat on a cutting board. Use a vegetable peeler to carefully peel the carrot from top to bottom. Keep peeling until the carrot is too thin to continue. Also, you should know that I am a wimp when it comes to spicy food. The 1/2 teaspoon of Sriracha is just enough to add flavor to the dressing. You can use more if you like the heat. Remember to use Bragg Liquid Aminos as a soy sauce substitute and to omit the chow mein noodles for gluten-free needs.
(Includes Affiliate Links)