Bean and Cheese Crisp (Quesadillas)
The Andersen household rarely lets a week go by without consuming Bean and Cheese Crisps for at least one meal. (That’s what they call them in Arizona, where Neil was raised.) This is a go-to meal for our babysitters to make when we are away, Sunday afternoons after church, or week days before school. The beans add a bit of nutrition and fiber to an otherwise calorie dense food.
Bean and Cheese Crisps (Quesadillas)
Servings 6 people
- 15 oz canned black beans drained
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 6 flour tortillas
- 2 cups sharp cheddar shredded
- Prepare beans by adding beans, garlic salt, and cumin to a small mixing bowl. Use an immersion blender or pastry blender to mash the beans.
- Spread about 2 tablespoons of beans on one half of a cooked tortilla. Top with 1/3 cup cheese and fold tortilla in half.
- Cook cheese crisp on an electric griddle or stovetop on medium-high heat for about 3 minutes on each side.