On a cool Autumn Day, this casserole is the perfect comfort food that won’t leave you feeling overstuffed. It is full of vegetables and whole grains that add flavor and nutrition to nourish your body at the end of the day. For a complete meal, serve with roasted butternut squash or Spinach Salad.
Cheesy Wild Rice and Vegetable Bake
Wild Rice and Vegetables
- 1 1/2 Cups Wild and Brown Rice Blend
- 3 Cups Water
- 1 1/2 Cups Carrots chopped
- 1 1/2 Cups Zucchini chopped
- 1 Cup Celery Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Yellow Onions minced
- 1/2 Cup Chick Peas optional
- 3/4 Cup Cooked Chicken shredded
- 1/4 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese for topping
- 1/4 Cup Onions minced
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/4 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 Cups Milk 2% milkfat
- 1 1/2 Cups Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Over Medium High heat, add water and rice to a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and cook rice for 40-45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the Cheese Sauce. In a medium saucepan, over medium-high heat, cook the onions in the butter until tender and translucent. Mix in the flour to form a paste. Pour in half of the milk and whisk until well combined with a wire whisk.
- Add the rest of the milk and continue to stir until the mixture begins to bubble. At this point, remove from the heat and add the shredded cheese. Stir until the cheese is completely melted. Season with salt and pepper. Set Aside.
- Add all vegetables to a large, non-stick skillet. Over medium-high heat, cook the vegetables with a dash of water and cover with a lid. Mix occasionally to prevent scorching.
- Add cooked rice, chicken, and cheese sauce to the vegetable skillet, and stir to combine. Pour the rice mixture into the greased pan, and top with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes until warmed through and the top is crispy.