Homemade Cheese Sauce
Tastier and more wholesome than the canned stuff!
Servings 3 Cups
- 1/4 Cup Onions minced
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/4 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 Cups Milk 2% milkfat
- 1 1/2 Cups Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, cook the onions in the butter until tender and transluscent.
- Mix in the flour to form a paste. Pour in half of the milk and whisk until well combined with a wire whisk.
- Add the rest of the milk and continue to stir until the mixture begins to bubble. At this point, remove from the heat and add the shredded cheese.
- Stir until the cheese is completely melted. Season with salt and pepper.
Notes: You may use whatever milk you have on hand. I always have 2% milkfat, so that is what I specified here. I have used skim in the past and it turned out great as well. Also, calories indicated are for 1/2 Cup sauce.