This brown rice lasagna noodle is the perfect gluten-free substitute! It cooks up perfectly tender and doesn’t go mushy after baking. You will love this version just as much as the original. YUM!
Megan’s Gluten-Free Lasagna
Fresh, light, nutritious, and delicious
Prep Time 40 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 15 minutes
Servings 12 1-Cup Servings
- 10 Brown Rice Lasagna Noodles Tinkyada brand
- 1/4 pound Ground Beef 1 Cup Cooked
- 1/4 pound Mild Italian Sausage 1 Cup Cooked
- 1 Cup Onion chopped
- 2/3 Cup Celery chopped fine
- 2/3 Cup Carrot shredded
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1- 15 ounce can Diced Tomatoes
- 2- 15 ounce cans Tomato Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons fresh Basil chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 Cups Cottage Cheese 4% milk fat
- 1 Egg* See note
- 1/3 Cup Parmesan shredded
- 2 Cups Packed Spinach
- 1 1/2 Cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- For sauce, cook beef, sausage, onion, celery, carrots and garlic in a large saucepan until meat is brown. Drain any excess fat.
- Add un-drained tomatoes, tomato sauce, chopped basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a low boil and then reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook noodles for 8 to 10 minutes so they are slightly under-cooked. Drain noodles and set aside.
- For cheese filling, mix together cottage cheese, egg, Parmesan and spinach. Set aside.
- Spread 1/2 cup of the sauce over the bottom of the baking dish. Layer half of the noodles in the bottom of the dish, trimming with kitchen shears as necessary to fit. Spread with half of the cheese filling. Top with half of the remaining sauce and half of the mozzarella. Repeat layers.
- Place 9 X 13 dish on a baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
I have mistakenly left out the egg in the past. It still tasted great, but never really set up in a pretty square serving. So, if the soupy plate doesn’t bother you, and you have an allergy to eggs, leaving them out still works.