I make Mexican horchata two times each year: Neil’s birthday and Christmas Day. We aren’t big on beverages, but this is one we love to drink on Neil’s birthday salsa night party or when we do our big Mexican Christmas dinner. It takes a little planning to blend the rice milk the night before, but other than that, this horchata is so easy to make and SO delicious. Enjoy!
Simple Homemade Horchata
- 1 1/2 cups white long grain rice uncooked
- 7 cups water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Put rice, 4 cups water, and cinnamon sticks in blender. Blend for about 1 minute to break up the rice and cinnamon sticks.
- Let mixture soak in the blender or a large pitcher overnight. If that isn't possible, soak for at least 3 to 4 hours.
- Strain rice mixture through a double layer of cheese cloth into another pitcher or a large liquid measuring cup.
- Add the remaining water, milk, vanilla, and sugar and stir well. If desired, refrigerate until chilled.