If you stop by our house on any given Sunday evening, there is a very good chance you will find a batch of these chewy oatmeal cookies baking in the oven. We have trouble keeping chocolate chips stocked at our house (one of my kids loves to eat them in bed while she reads, and another has grown tall enough to reach them off the freezer shelf), so oatmeal cookies are our go-to dessert. These are so delicious–not too sweet, crispy on the outside and chewy, caramelized sugar on the inside. Enjoy!
Favorite Oatmeal Cookie
- 11/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the butter and beat 60 seconds. Add brown sugar and granulated sugar and beat until smooth, scraping down the sides with a spatula if necessary.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla extract and beat until combined and smooth.
- With the mixer off, add all of the dry ingredients. Turn the mixer on low and mix until just combined. Stir in the oats and pecans.
- Scoop the cookie dough into round balls the size of a golf ball. Place on greased baking sheets, about 2-inches apart. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until the edges of the cookies are golden brown but the centers are soft. Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.