Soup night is our favorite dinner during chilly Fall months. This hearty stew is one of my boy’s favorites. Pair it with a slice of warm, homemade bread slathered with honey butter, and we have the ultimate comfort meal. Enjoy!
Italian Sausage and Lentil Stew
Sausage, potato, lentil, and vegetable stew
Servings 6 people
- 1 pound Ground Italian Sausage mild
- 1 cup Carrots sliced
- 1 cup onions chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups potatoes cubed
- 1/2 cup dried lentils rinsed
- 4 cups kale loose packed, chopped
- In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, cook sausage until browned. Stir often. Pour off fat.
- Add onions and carrots and cook about 5 minutes, until tender. Add garlic for last 30 seconds of cooking to release flavor.
- Add zucchini, broth, potatoes, lentils, bay leaf and oregano. Heat to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat 10 minutes or until lentils are soft.
- Stir in chopped kale and cook 5 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
For gluten-free options: be sure to check the label of your sausage to ensure the meat contains no wheat or soy.