I am always surprised at how many people love this Salad—my husband, his brothers, their wives, my meat-eating-Wyoming family—they all devour it at family gatherings. I hope your next dinner guests will enjoy it too!
This recipe is an alteration of a recipe I found on the blog, Sweet Peas and Saffron. I re-worked it to make it fit our family’s palate and preferences better.
Kale Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
- 8 Cups Kale (one bunch), washed and chopped into 1 inch leaves
- 1 1/2 Cup one 15 oz. can garbanzo beans, rinsed
- 1 1/2 Cups barley (3/4 Cup dry), cooked and chilled*
- 1/2 Cup Feta cheese crumbled
- 1 avocado cubed
- 1 pear (optional), cubed
- 1/4 Cup green or red onions chopped fine
- 1/3 Cup olive oil
- 1/4 Cup white wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- Combine all vinaigrette ingredients in a mason jar with a tight-fitting lid. Shake the dressing until the honey is completely dissolved.
- Kale can be a pretty bitter leafy green if it isn’t prepared right. I recommend preparing the kale and putting it in a large mixing bowl. Before adding any other salad ingredients, pour the lemon vinaigrette over the kale. Start by using just half the dressing. With your (clean) hands, massage the dressing into the kale. This tenderizes the kale and helps it absorb the dressing, taking away the bitter taste. I do this about 20 minutes before serving the salad.
- Add all remaining salad ingredients and serve immediately. This salad stays fresh for 24 hours in an airtight container, so you can make it in the morning and eat it for lunch or make it for dinner and eat leftovers the next day.
Includes Affiliate Links