This fresh, lemon chickpea salad is full of all my kid’s favorite ingredients from my Kale salad–without the kale. My boys in particular always say Kale Salad is their favorite salad I make, but they always pick the kale out. When I served this salad, they licked the plate clean. This is a great side for casseroles because it is full of fiber and protein. It is also ideal for outdoor barbecues because it won’t spoil to fast while sitting out on a serving table. I’m serving it tonight with my Hearty Tuna Bake. Enjoy!
Lemon Chickpea Salad
- 15 oz. chickpeas rinsed
- 1 1/2 Cups barley 3/4 Cup dry, cooked and chilled*
- 1 large apple chopped
- 1 avocado cubed
- 1/2 Cup Feta cheese crumbled
- 1/4 Cup red onions chopped fine
- 1/3 Cup olive oil
- 1/4 Cup white wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- Combine all vinaigrette ingredients in a mason jar with a tight-fitting lid. Shake the dressing until the honey is completely dissolved.
- Combine salad ingredients and mix in the vinaigrette. If you have time and foresight, this salad is delicious when you marinate the beans in the dressing for up to 8 hours before serving. Otherwise, it still tastes great when tossing it all together just before serving.