I feel so grateful that I stocked up on wheat berries before the panic of COVID-19 began. Flour sure is hard to come by right now! I grind my wheat berries into flour 2-3 times a week lately for bread, pancakes, muffins, and cornbread. Our latest favorite whole wheat side dish is this delicious and super-easy drop biscuit. It’s soft, buttery, and melts in your mouth. You can use buttermilk, but I always have kefir that needs to be used up, so that is what I use. These are a great side to any dish. This week I am making them with my Balsamic Chicken and Veggies to round out our meal. (Wow, that was a lot of links in that summary. It’s all good stuff though.) Enjoy!
Easy Buttermilk Drop Biscuits (with Whole Wheat)
- 2 1/4 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 1/4 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/8 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- 1 1/8 Cup Butter cold but not frozen
- 2 1/4 Cups Buttermilk or plain kefir
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl, stir together the flours, baking powder, salt, and cream of tartar. Use a pastry blender to cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the kefir (or buttermilk) all at once. Use a fork to stir just until combined. It should resemble a thick, lumpy batter.
- On a greased baking sheet, drop dough by spoonfuls about one inch apart. Use a lightly greased spatula to scrape the dough out of the spoon and onto the sheet.
- Bake for 6 to 8 minutes. or until the tops are barely golden brown. Watch them carefully, because the bottoms will brown before the tops.
(Includes Affiliate Links)