Chili season is in full swing, and NO chili is ever complete without a square of cornbread. This recipe is as moist and flavorful as any, but it has whole ingredients and no refined sugars. For those who avoid wheat, try my Gluten-free Corn Bread. Enjoy!
Hearty Corn Bread
- 2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 1/2 Cups Corn Meal
- 2 Tablespoons Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tablespoons Ground Flaxseed
- 6 Tablespoons Water
- 1/2 Cup Applesauce
- 2 Cups Milk or Almond Milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a 9 x 13 inch cast iron pan.
- Place pan into the oven while preparing ingredients—no longer than 6-8 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk together wet ingredients.
- Add wet ingredients to large bowl of dry ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Remove hot pan from oven and pour batter into the pan. It will immediately begin to cook the edges to provide a perfectly toasted crust.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cut two lines down and 4 lines across. Serve with butter and honey. Devour!