Oftentimes, I am asked to take dinners to families in my Church Congregation who could use a meal for whatever reason–new baby, surgery, funerals, etc. Since I know how to cook Gluten-free foods, I often volunteer to bring dinners to those families who need to avoid wheat. This is a variation on my Hearty Corn Bread to fit those needs, and it is just as moist, spongy, and delicious (or maybe even more so) as the original. Enjoy!
Hearty Corn Bread (Gluten-Free)
- 2 1/3 Cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour
- 1 1/2 Cups Bob’s Red Mill Stone Ground Gluten-Free Cornmeal
- 2 Tablespoons Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 large Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Applesauce
- 2 Cups Milk or Almond Milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a 9 x 13 inch cast iron pan.
- Place pan into the oven while preparing ingredients—no longer than 6-8 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk together wet ingredients.
- Add wet ingredients to large bowl of dry ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Remove hot pan from oven and pour batter into the pan. It will immediately begin to cook the edges to provide a perfectly toasted crust.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cut two lines down and 4 lines across. Serve with butter and honey. Devour!