Does anyone else get a bit weary of the same old side dishes at summer barbecues? The chips and watermelon just aren’t cutting it for me lately, so I decided to mix it up with these super easy vegetable kabobs. They add some nice nutrition and color to an otherwise ordinary meal. Below is my fail-proof recipe for perfect vegetable kabobs. Enjoy!
Grilled Vegetable Kabobs
- 2 Yams sliced
- 2 Zucchini Squash
- 2 Red Onions
- 2 Red Bell Peppers
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil extra virgin
- 1 Tablespoon Seasoned Salt
- Soak 12 bamboo skewers in a pan of water while preparing vegetables. This helps to prevent the skewers from burning during the grilling process.
- Prepare yams by peeling and slicing them into 3/4-inch thick rounds. In a microwave safe bowl, cook the potatoes for 90 seconds. Mix and cook another 90 seconds. Set aside.
- Slice zucchini into 3/4-inch thick rounds. Chop bell peppers and red onions into large, 2 inch pieces.
- Combine all vegetables in a large mixing bowl and drizzle with olive oil and salt. Mix just until vegetables are coated.
- Stack vegetables onto skewers. Be sure to leave just a sliver of space between each vegetable so that the heat will be able to cook between them.
- Heat an outdoor grill to 450 degrees. Grill the kabobs by turning each skewer with tongs 4 times, cooking for 3 minutes between turns. The potatoes should be soft but not mushy. The zucchini, onions and peppers, should be crisp-tender. Sprinkle with additional seasoned salt if desired. Serve immediately.