You will be shocked at how moist and delicious these are! The bananas make these so sweet that no added sweetener is needed in this recipe. I substituted ground flaxseed for the eggs to make them oil AND cholesterol-free.
Hearty Whole Wheat Banana Muffins
You will be shocked at how moist and delicious these are!
Servings 24 Muffins
- 2 1/2 Cups Ripe Bananas (about 5 bananas), mashed
- 1 Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 2 Tablespoons Ground Flaxseed whisked into 6 Tablespoons water see notes
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 3/4 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- 2 teaspoons Baking powder
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Walnuts
- 1/2 Cup Mini Chocolate Chips optional
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees and grease the muffin tins.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together the bananas, applesauce, eggs (or flax mixture), and vanilla. Mix until very smooth.
- Add the wet ingredients into the large bowl of dry ingredients. Stir until well-incorporated, but do not over mix. It will make your muffins flat if you mix the batter too much.
- Fold the nuts and (if desired) chocolate chips into the batter.
- Fill the greased muffin cups 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake muffins at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until spongy to the touch.
- Let cool in pan for about 3 minutes before removing. Serve immediately.
You can use 2 eggs in place of the ground flaxseed if the cholesterol content doesn't concern you. I use flaxseed whenever I plan to make scrambled eggs as a side with these muffins. It saves me a couple eggs.