This was one of my favorite Sunday evening desserts Mom would throw in the oven after church. Now that I am a busy mom myself, I understand why she loved this cake. It is a quick fix with a moist sponge, crunchy walnuts (only on half the cake, because every family has nut-haters, right?), and smooth chocolate chips. You have to eat this cake warm with a glass of milk to get the best experience. Enjoy!
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cake
- 1 ¾ cups boiling water
- 1 cup oatmeal instant
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 stick butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 1 Tablespoon cocoa
- 1 12 ounce bag chocolate chips
- ¾ cup nuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Pour boiling water over oats and stir.
- Add sugars and butter. Stir till melted. Add eggs and mix well.
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Add dry ingredients and mix well.
- Fold in 1 cup chocolate chips. Pour in 9”x13” pan. Sprinkle nuts and 1 cup chocolate chips on top. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes.