A year ago, my soon to be-10-year-old was making the best of an unfortunate situation when COVID canceled his birthday party. Kade had big plans to celebrate with friends, but the world was grappling with a new pandemic, and we were in week 3 of quarantine. I was proud of how well he handled the bummer deal, but I still wanted to do all I could to make his day special. Instead of the traditional Ice Cream Cake I usually make on my kids’ birthdays, I tried my hand at replicating his favorite food in Rice Krispie Treat form. It turned out so good that he is requesting I make two huge Rice Krispie Treat Pizzas for him to share with all his friends this week. I’m not sad about it, because this “birthday cake” is even easier to make than my lazy-mom Ice Cream Cake. Enjoy!
Rice Krispie Treat Pizza
- 5 tablespoons salted butter
- 6 1/4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 7 1/2 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 3 cups red frosting
- 6 pieces red Airheads candies
- 6 pieces green Airheads candies
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted.
- Stir in Rice Krispies and stir until well-coated.
- Pour mixture onto a lightly greased 16" pizza pan. Grease hands and begin forming Rice Krispie treat into the pan. Curve the edges to make it look like a pizza crust.
- Spread red frosting evenly over the treat, leaving the crust without frosting.
- Lightly sprinkle the treat with shredded coconut while the frosting is still wet so the coconut sticks well.
- Use a rolling pin to flatten the airheads. Cut the red Airhead into circles with a water bottle cap. Cut and shape the green Airheads to look like green bell peppers. Press gently onto the treat.
- Slice into 8 pieces with a french knife to serve.