This soup is inspired by my Mom’s home cooking. As a child, I used to love coming home on a cold, wintery day to a bowl of bean soup with corn bread. I’ve altered the recipe of my childhood to give it a boost of nutrition, and the following recipeis what I have come up with. It pairs very well with my Hearty Corn Bread. Enjoy!!
Hearty Bean and Bacon Soup
- 20 oz. “Ham Beens 15 Bean Soup" or 4 Cans Navy Beans
- 6 Cups Water
- 2 Tablespoons Chicken Soup Base
- 2 Cups Carrots diced
- 1 15 oz. Can Diced Tomatoes not drained
- 1 Large Onion diced (1 Cup)
- 1/2 Cup Bacon or Ham cooked and chopped
- 1 teaspoon Rosemary dried
- salt and pepper to taste
- Remove and discard Ham Beens seasoning packet, and prepare on stovetop according to package directions. Another option is to cook the beans on the [Bean/Chili] setting of an Instant Pot for 30 minutes. Drain beans, and add to a large pot on stovetop.
- Add all remaining ingredients except for the Bacon, and bring to boil. Just a note on the bacon-- I like to use Hormel Real Bacon Pieces (Affiliate link) because they save me time and don’t smell up my kitchen. However, if we ever have leftover ham, I use that.
- Decrease heat to low, add bacon (or ham) and simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve in bowls and let sit for 5 minutes before eating.
- Pair the soup with a serving of Hearty Corn Bread topped with butter and honey.
(Includes Affiliate Links)