Sometimes, you just need to clean out the veggies in the fridge for dinner, and this dish does just that. This is a colorful twist to potatoes and gravy which can be served as a main dish. Follow my picture tutorial to make the gravy base by clicking HERE . Serve with cut vegetables or my Apple and Bacon Spinach Salad to make it a complete meal.
Mashed Potatoes with Hearty Vegetable Gravy
A colorful `twist to a classic comfort food.
Servings 8 servings
- 8-10 Russet potatoes
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup onion minced
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup flour
- 2 1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 Tablespoon Better than Bouillon” chicken base
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Vegetables and Chicken
- 1-2 small zucchini squash chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup rotisserie chicken shredded
Chicken and Vegetables
- Wash and dice vegetables into small pieces. Over medium-high heat, steep them in 2 tablespoons of water in a skillet with a lid. Set aside.
- Wash, chop and boil for approximately 15 minutes or until potatoes are very soft.
- Drain potatoes and return to pot. Add butter and Greek yogurt and mash the potatoes. I like to use an electric mixer.
- Sauté onions in butter in a medium saucepan until onions are soft and translucent. Mix in the flour to form a paste.
- Pour in half of the milk and whisk continually until well-combined with a wire whisk.
- Add the rest of the milk and the bouillon and continue whisking until mixture thickens and begins to bubble. Remove from heat.
- Add the frozen peas and cooked veggies. Continue occasionally stirring until the peas are soft. Add shredded chicken. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve gravy atop the potatoes and enjoy!
I Serve with my Apple Bacon Spinach Salad for a complete meal.
Cuisinart Stainless Stock/Strainer Set
(Boil potatoes in the stock/strainer pot and steep the vegetables in the steaming basket!)
(For the Vegetable Gravy)