This stuff is so good it won first prize at our neighborhood chili cook-off in 2013. True Story.
Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
Servings 8 people
- 3 cups elbow macaroni pasta dry
- 1/3 cup yellow onion minced
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 1/4 cups cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Cook pasta according to the directions on the package.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, cook the onions in the butter until tender and transluscent.
- Mix in the flour to form a paste. Pour in half of the milk and whisk until well combined with a wire whisk. Add the rest of the milk and continue to stir until the mixture begins to bubble.
- At this point, remove from the heat and add the shredded cheese. Stir until the cheese is completely melted.
- Season with salt and pepper.
When I have pureed butternut squash in the freezer, I prefer making our mac and cheese this way.
Includes Affiliate Link