Instant Pot (or Slow Cooker) Marinara Chicken with Mashed Potatoes
Instant Pot Marinara Chicken Over Mashed Potatoes
A FAST and healthy meal, ready whenever you are.
Servings 8 people
- 3 Pounds Chicken Breasts* see notes
- 24 ounce can Pasta Sauce* see notes
- 8 ounce can Tomato Sauce
- 1 medium Onion chopped
- 1 medium Green Bell Pepper chopped
- 1 1/2 Cups Carrots sliced
- 1 medium Zucchini (1 Cup), chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 Tablespoons COLD water
- 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
- 8 Cups Prepared Mashed Potatoes for Serving
Instant Pot Directions:
- Combine all ingredients except water, cornstarch, and mashed potatoes in Instant Pot. Mix well so the chicken is coated.
- Secure lid and select the [Manual] or [Pressure Cook] setting on the Instant Pot. Adjust to [Low Pressure] setting for 15 minutes. If your chicken is larger pieces, increase the cooking time to 18 minutes.
- When the cycle is finished, allow the steam to naturally release, about 15 minutes before opening. Cut chicken breasts with shears or a metal spoon into 1-inch pieces.
- Meanwhile, mix the remaining 2 Tablespoons of COLD water with cornstarch until mixture is smooth.
- Change setting to [Sautee] and add the corn starch mixture to the marinara chicken. Stir until the sauce thickens, about 3 minutes.
- Serve over hot mashed potatoes or noodles.
- Use THAWED chicken breasts for this method. Combine all ingredients except water, cornstarch, and mashed potatoes in Instant Pot. Mix well so the chicken is coated.
- Cover with lid and cook on LOW 6 to 8 hours.
- Before serving, stir together just 2 Tablespoons water and 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch in a small bowl until mixture is smooth.
- Increase heat to HIGH and stir into marinara chicken. Cook an additional 15 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Serve over prepared mashed potatoes or noodles.
Remember to use frozen chicken for the Instant Pot Pressure Cook method and thawed chicken for the Slow-Cooker Method. My favorite marinara sauce is Hunts Garlic and Herb because it contains no added sugar. Also, I have made this before when my Instant Pot alerted me that it was beginning to burn. If this happens to you, simply press the [Cancel] button, carefully remove the lid, add 2 more Tablespoons of water, and give the chicken a few stirs. Replace the lid and resume to pressure cooking process.
(Includes Affiliate Links)