I hope that by posting this recipe in Mid-December, the Pumpkin craze has not ended yet. Is everyone sick of pumpkin by now? If you are like me, you never get tired of it! Here’s a pumpkin bread that can also be made into muffins. It’s a healthy spin on the traditional recipe which sacrifices no flavor or texture. These are moist, chocolatey, filling yet light. I serve this as breakfast, snacks, and give it to neighbors for Holiday treats. Sometimes it even shows up in the kids’ lunchboxes.
I don’t believe that anyone should ever feel guilty about eating any particular food. There’s room for everything in every diet, right? Well, if any recipe was ever guilt-free, this would be the one. This bread is chocked full of nutrition from all whole foods. Following is all the glorious nutrition you will get from two 1 inch slices of this bread or 2 regular muffins:
From the 100% pure canned pumpkin: 92% of your Daily Intake of Vitamin A!
From the whole wheat flour: B- Vitamins Galore! And Dietary Fiber.
From the unsweetened applesauce: Vitamin C
From the plain, Greek yogurt: Protein, and a little Calcium
From the Flaxseed: Fiber and a little Protein and Iron.
From the Chocolate Chips: Magnesium. Who ever said chocolate wasn’t healthy for you?!
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Flax Muffins
- 3 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 15 oz. Pumpkin Puree NOT Pumpkin Pie Filling
- 1 Cup Applesauce unsweetened
- 1 Cup Greek or Plain Non-fat yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons Ground Flaxseed + 6 Tablespoons water
- 1/2 Cup Honey
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 3/4 Cup Semi-sweet Mini Chocolate Chips
- 1 Cup Pecans chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease two 9 x 5 x 3-inch bread loaf pans or 2 1/2 muffin tins.
- In a small bowl, mix all wet ingredients together with a wire whisk or an electric hand mixer until well combined.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Do not over stir or the bread will come out too flat and dense.
- Fold in the mini chocolate chips.
- Bake muffins for 20-30 minutes or bread loaves for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let the bread sit in the pan for 5 minutes after removing from oven.