This recipe is my healthified (that should be a word, right?) version of a soup that was served in the café which my dietetics colleagues and I spent a semester running in college. The original recipe was pretty heavy, so I altered it to include more vegetables and less meat. At dinner last night, my six-year-old boy asked if I could make this soup on every soup night. I hope you enjoy it as much as he does!
Hearty Lasagna Soup
- 1/2 pound Italian Sausage
- 1 1/2 Cups Onion chopped
- 2 large Carrots chopped
- 2 small Zucchini Squash chopped
- 6 Cloves Garlic minced
- 7 Cups Water
- 7 teaspoons Chicken Soup Base
- 30 ounces Diced Tomatoes
- 15 ounces Tomato Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Parsley 1 Tbsp Dry
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Basil 1Tbsp Dry
- 1/2 teaspoon Oregano dry
- 2 1/2 Cups Egg Noodle Pasta dry
- 2 Cups Spinach chopped
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese for garnish
- In a large pot, brown the sausage over medium high heat. Once cooked, drain and gently rinse with hot water. Add onions, carrots, and zucchini to sausage. Sauté for 5 minutes. Stir in minced garlic and sauté for 1 minute more.
- Add water, soup base, tomatoes, sauce, and herbs to sausage and vegetable mixture. Bring to a low boil and cook until vegetables are tender.
- Add dry pasta and simmer until al dente, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in chopped spinach and garnish with freshly grated Parmesan Cheese.
Includes Affiliate Links