This Summer heat combined with being 30+ weeks pregnant is challenging me. Whew! All I want to eat these days is smoothies and anything cold or frozen. Naturally, I was really craving a fudgsicle on a particularly hot day a couple weeks ago, so the kids and I made homemade pudding and froze it overnight in our ice pop molds. We made both vanilla and chocolate, and they were SO GOOD! My 5-year-old took a lick of hers, tipped her head back and exclaimed, “I’m in HEAVEN!” After you taste these, you will agree they are WAY better than any store brand. And since this is a nutrition blog, I should mention that two pudding pops have about 15% your daily value of Calcium. And, true to form, I cut some of the sugar out of the original recipe. So that’s awesome, right?! I hope you enjoy this yummy frozen treat this summer!
1. In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch (and Cocoa Powder if you are making the chocolate flavor). Stir in Milk.
2. Cook and stir mixture continually over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove pan from heat.
3. Gradually stir 1 cup of hot milk mixture into bowl of egg yolks. Add egg mixture to milk mixture in pan. Bring milk mixture to a gentle boil and reduce heat to low. Cook and continue stirring for 2 minutes more.
4. Remove pan from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
5. Use a ladle to spoon pudding into popsicle molds and tightly secure the lid. Place in a freezer for 8 hours or overnight. Rinse outside of popsicle mold with warm water for about 20 seconds before removing pudding pop from the mold.