This soup reminds me of Mom’s home cooking. As a child, I used to love coming home on a cold, wintery day to a bowl of bean soup with corn bread. I’ve altered the recipe of my childhood as I have learned more about healthy eating, and the following soup is what I have come up with. It pairs very well with my Hearty Corn Bread. Enjoy!!
|Hearty Bean and Bacon Soup
20 oz. “Ham Beens” 15 Bean Soup or 4 Cans Navy Beans
1. Prepare “Ham Beans” according to package directions. Remove and discard seasoning packet. Drain and rinse beans, and add to a large pot.
2. Add all remaining ingredients and bring to boil. Just a note on the bacon– I like to use “Hormel Real Bacon Pieces” because they save me time and don’t smell up my kitchen. However, if we ever have leftover ham, I use that.
3. Decrease heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes.
4. Serve in bowls and let sit for 5 minutes before eating.
5. Pair the soup with a serving of Hearty Corn Bread topped with butter and honey. Happy Cooking!
Makes 10-12 servings