Are you swimming in zucchini this time of year? What’s a poor gardener to do with so much zucchini?! The answer for me is to shred and freeze as much as possible so I can bake my favorite zucchini muffins all winter long. As with most of my recipes, this is a “healthified” version of a classic favorite. They are whole wheat, full of fiber, oil-free, refined sugar-free and have the option to be cholesterol-free (see notes for details). Best of all, they are soft, moist, and delicious. Enjoy!
Hearty Zucchini Muffins
- 2 Cups Zucchini shredded, drained
- 1 Ripe Banana mashed
- 1 Cup Applesauce unsweetened
- 2 Eggs See notes for cholesterol-free option
- 1/4 Cup Honey
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 3 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 Cup Walnuts chopped
- 1/2 Cup Mini Chocolate Chips optional
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees and grease the muffin tins.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together the bananas, applesauce, eggs (or flax mixture), honey, and vanilla. Mix until very smooth.
- Add the wet ingredients into the large bowl of dry ingredients. Stir until well-incorporated, but do not over mix. It will make your muffins flat if you mix the batter too much.
- If desired, mix chocolate chips and/or nuts into the batter.
- Fill the greased muffin cups 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake muffins at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until the tops are spongy to the touch.