Trying to mix things up one night during quarantine, I did some research on basic Indian dishes. I found a recipe for Red Lentil Dal and made do with the ingredients I had on hand. I served it with Coconut Jasmine Rice. It may not be as authentic as possible, but it turned out SO GOOD! It was a great addition to Chicken Tikka Masala, and I rounded it out with a side of Curried Sweet Potatoes and Cauliflower (Aloo Gobi).
Sweet Coconut Red Lentil Dal
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup red lentils dry
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon yellow curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground dry ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 15 oz. coconut milk full fat unsweetened
- 15 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- Over medium heat, warm oil in a large saucepan.
- Cook onion for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for just 60 seconds.
- Add water and lentils and turn heat to high.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce to medium-low heat.
- Simmer for 25-30 minutes or until most of the water is absorbed.
- Stir in coconut sugar, shredded coconut, spices, coconut milk and tomatoes.
- Simmer over medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes. Season with salt.
Includes Affiliate Links