Oftentimes, I am asked to take dinners to families in my Church Congregation who could use a meal for whatever reason–new baby, surgery, funerals, etc. Since I know how to cook Gluten-free foods, I often volunteer to bring dinners to those families who need to avoid wheat. This is a variation on my Hearty Corn Bread to fit those needs.
Hearty Corn Bread (Gluten-Free)
- 2 1/3 Cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour
- 1 1/2 Cups Bob’s Red Mill Stone Ground Gluten-Free Cornmeal
- 2 Tablespoons Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tablespoons Ground Flaxseed
- 6 Tablespoons water
- 1/2 Cup Applesauce
- 2 Cups Milk or Almond Milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a 9 x 13 inch cast iron pan.
- Place pan into the oven while preparing ingredients—no longer than 6-8 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk together wet ingredients.
- Add wet ingredients to large bowl of dry ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Remove hot pan from oven and pour batter into the pan. It will immediately begin to cook the edges to provide a perfectly toasted crust.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cut two lines down and 4 lines across. Serve with butter and honey. Devour!