You will be shocked at how moist and delicious these are! The bananas make these so sweet that no added sweetener is needed in this recipe. I substituted ground flaxseed for the eggs to make them oil AND cholesterol-free.
Hearty Whole Wheat Banana Muffins
You will be shocked at how moist and delicious these are!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 24 Muffins
- 2 1/2 Cups Ripe Bananas (about 5 bananas), mashed
- 1 Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 2 Tablespoons Ground Flaxseed whisked into 6 Tablespoons water see notes
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 3 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- 2 teaspoons Baking powder
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Walnuts
- 1/2 Cup Mini Chocolate Chips optional
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees and grease the muffin tins.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together the bananas, applesauce, eggs (or flax mixture), and vanilla. Mix until very smooth.
- Add the wet ingredients into the large bowl of dry ingredients. Stir until well-incorporated, but do not over mix. It will make your muffins flat if you mix the batter too much.
- Fold the nuts and (if desired) chocolate chips into the batter.
- Fill the greased muffin cups 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake muffins at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until spongy to the touch.
- Let cool in pan for about 3 minutes before removing. Serve immediately.
You can use 2 eggs in place of the ground flaxseed if the cholesterol content doesn't concern you. I use flaxseed whenever I plan to make scrambled eggs as a side with these muffins. It saves me a couple eggs.