You will be shocked at how moist and delicious these are! The bananas make these so sweet that no added sweetener is needed in this recipe. I substituted ground flaxseed for the eggs to make them oil AND cholesterol-free.
|Hearty Whole Wheat Banana Muffins
2 Cups + 1 ripe banana, mashed
1 Cup applesauce
2 Eggs –OR- 2 Tablespoons ground flaxseed whisked into 6 Tablespoons water
1 teaspoon Vanilla
3 Cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 Cup Chopped Walnuts
(optional) 1/2 cup Mini Chocolate Chips
Makes 2 dozen muffins.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees and grease the muffin tins.
2. Mix all dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
3. In a small bowl, mix together the bananas, applesauce, eggs (or flax mixture), and vanilla. Mix until very smooth.
4. Add the wet ingredients into the large bowl of dry ingredients. Stir until well-incorporated, but do not over mix. It will make your muffins flat if you mix the batter too much.
5. Fold the nuts and (if desired) chocolate chips into the batter.
6. Fill the greased muffin cups 2/3 full with batter.
7. Bake muffins at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes.
8. Let cool in pan for about 3 minutes before removing. Serve immediately.