It is impossible to fail at the dinner table when the main entrée includes tomato sauce, cheese and sausage. The kids love this, and I approve! This dish is loaded with fiber and protein from the quinoa and essential vitamins and minerals from the tomato sauce and shredded carrots. Enjoy!
3 Cups cooked Quinoa
32 oz. Tomato Sauce
1 1/2 Cups finely shredded Carrots
2 Tablespoons Basil (dry)
1 Tablespoon Parsley (dry)
1 Tablespoon Garlic Salt
3/4 Cup cooked Mild Italian Sausage
1 1/2 Cups shredded Mozzarella Cheese (divided)
Directions: 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13 casserole pan.
2. Combine quinoa, tomato sauce, shredded carrots, and seasonings and mix until fully incorporated. (I usually mix it all together right in the sauce pan I used to cook the quinoa.)
3. Pour one-third of the tomato/quinoa mixture into the greased pan. Use the back of your mixing spoon to level out the mixture.
4. Sprinkle cooked sausage and half of the cheese evenly along the mixture. Pour remaining mixture over the sausage and cheese and smooth out with the back of your spoon. Sprinkle the top with remaining cheese.
*Optional: Top with sliced tomatoes and fresh basil if you just can’t get enough of the tomato/basil combo.*
5. Bake for 20 minutes. Broil for 2 minutes longer or until top is lightly brown.
6. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.