Even though it is the first of May, soup season is still going strong at our house. In fact, it never really ends, because soup is so versatile and can be made ahead or frozen and reheated so flawlessly. I made this Bean and Bacon soup in the Instant Pot when we had leftover Easter ham a couple weeks ago. It turned out just as delicious as my stove-top version and everyone (except my one bean-loathing child) loved it. With a square or two of my Hearty Corn Bread, it makes for a really well-rounded, healthy weeknight meal. I hope your family enjoys this one, too!
Instant Pot Bean and Bacon Soup
- 16 oz. Dry Pinto Beans sorted and rinsed
- 6 Cups Water
- 2 Tablespoons Better Than Bouillon Chicken Soup Base
- 2 Cups Carrots diced
- 15 oz. Can Diced Tomatoes not drained
- 1 Large Onion diced 1 Cup
- 2 Garlic Cloves Minced
- 1 teaspoon Rosemary dried
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 Cup Bacon or Ham cooked and chopped
- Remove and discard stones from pinto beans and rinse thoroughly.
- Add all ingredients except for the Bacon, to the Instant pot. Secure the lid and switch the valve to the 'sealing' position. Set the beans to cook on the [Bean/Chili] setting of the Instant Pot for 45 minutes.
- Manually release the pressure by turning the valve to the venting position. You can either do this step outside or with a rag placed over the ventilation so the steam doesn't peel the finish off of your cupboards or make your kitchen smell like beans.
- Remove a ladle of beans and mash in a separate bowl. Add back into the soup for a thicker, creamier consistency. Add bacon or ham and let it warm through for about 5 minutes before serving.
(Includes Affiliate Link)